Saturday, April 16, 2016

In What Way is Knowledge Available to US?


Knowledge is not available as such, although we point to an exception: the field of philosophy. But, if this is the case, then what do the philosophical treatments of knowledge depend on. Surely, they depend upon arguments. In order to make others believe something we are saying, we need the argument. This applies to products, firstly. Since this is an economics blog? So, then: A “Snickers” bar presents the us with an argument that a the “Snickers” bar in question is not some kind of junk, but actual food. I never quite bought that argument. I have bought them on occasion. But, I do not buy the argument. I think I have rarely had a really ‘yum’ experience with the candy bar. My body seems to reject these things, out of hand. But it is an argument, and the same goes for other products. They are an argument for us to buy them. But, leaving that aside, beliefs as well are “sold” as arguments, and, in some cases, if something was to be disseminated (to the ‘market’ or) to the public, that meant it had to be sold. It had to be packaged in a commercial form. Thus, persons live both capitalistically and culturally. In the book trade (as opposed to something like iron, or natural gas) very often ideas are the items being sold. But these are still commercially packaged.

     Don’t all cultures always have all kinds of cross-currents? Some ideas are purely non-commercial, but some are only slightly related to commerce, and some are close. "Arguments" get closer and closer to the real thing.

3 comments:

  1. Knowledge, in other words, is not normally available "as such." This is the note on which I begin the above fragment. It has to be put into words. So it is not "as such." Of course, philosophers are the ones who may at least make some kind of attempt to transcend that boundary, or deal with the issue here, so I had to point out the exception. And of course these too are called arguments of "philosophical argument." But, I am just using the word "argument," not making the philosophers' kind. I don't even think I know any philosophers. I am talking about the more general case of "arguments," so this means in the form of rhetoric, ideology, or yes physical products----which are "arguments." Even the availability of iron or steel is a kind of "argument" for the economic trading system that makes those things available, and also creates a new kind of ("capitalist") civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a small problem that I am dealing with the exception to the non-availability twice, in that in my own piece I am being a philosopher and, at the same time, I am locating 'philosophy' as if it were external! But, in any case, what I seem to be trying to do is get rid of the philosophy and deal with the product.

    ReplyDelete